Friday, March 18, 2011

Just Call Me Francesca

Sometimes, I almost forget what my
real 
name is.

My better half has always taken to calling me
by a nickname.
The thing about nicknames is that 
the party being called the nickname 
seldom gets to pick the nickname.

I'm not complaining though.
Really.
I like it when he calls me a pet name.

Jeanie, Jean, Jeaners and Nienie(rhymes with Jeanie)
seem almost like my real name. 
He's called me those since college days.
Started out with Jean, then expanded from there.
That's what I answer to around here ninety percent of the time. 
It's been in our repertoire so long,
I call him by the same too.
It's kinda weird, I know.  
Instead of Babe, or Hon, it's Jean or Jeanie.
I don't call him Nienie, though.
 Not very masculine.
Our boys have heard it for years
and I don't ever recall them asking us
about it.
It's just always been.

As normal as the aforementioned names seem to me,
I have to admit that some of my other nicknames
are a little out there.
Tambo Jolene. Tambone, 
Little Nienie Ann, 
and 
Francesca, 
to name a few.
 Ha ha.... I just love Francesca.
When he calls me that
it makes me laugh.

And...since no one ever asked me what I would have picked,
I'd like to voice my opinion
about my nicknames of choice.

Queen or better yet, The Queen seems like an obvious given,
seeing that I spent so many years in a house full of testosterone.
Buttercup is pretty.
Morning Sunshine...
 quite appealing.
I like Precious, but
that weird little Smeagol guy
from Lord of the Rings ruined that one for me.

I'm glad we don't ever find out
our nicknames given to us by
 our teenage children,
aren't you?

  Pretty sure
The Queen might have been used once or twice.
That or Control Freak.

1. (n.) nickname - a name substituted for the 
proper name of a person, 
 in affection, familiarity, or ridicule.
Long live the Queen!

(yahoo image)


3 comments:

  1. I Love it!
    Mark has rarely, as in, maybe twice in our life, called me anything other than my name. He believes if my mama named me, he should use it!
    So, nicknames usually conjure up memories of pain for me. The neighbor boys used to call me Margo and then go around chanting, Margo the mustang, we hate you! Still hurts my heart to think about it.
    There is power in the tongue and if you place a name on someone, soon it will stick.
    Mom and Nana are by far my favorite names! Pretty much always brings a smile to my heart when I hear those words.....except for the occasional string of MOM MOM MOM MOM when someone wants my immediate attention! lol
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words, well, they hurt deeply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Marijo, I'm so sorry that you had to put up with neighbor bullies. It obviously left a lot of hurt there, as bullies can often do. I had one on my block, as well.
    Um..although, I have been calling you MJ a lot, ha ha...now don't know if I should give you a nickname or not! :P
    I like names of endearment...our whole family uses nicknames (esp. thanks to my little sister).
    We called the boys Matty and Drewser a lot when they were growing up. Mike stills calls them Pal and Chief. I love it. I just stick mostly to Sweetheart and Babe...when I'm not upset with them. lol
    March 19, 2011

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can call me MJ!
    We used to call Bryan 'the boy' 'bp' 'beep'
    Sara was 'punkin' sarbear' 'sissy'
    Emily was 'emmy' 'the divine miss em' and 'em'
    So, I love nicknames and mark does too...just not for me. sigh

    ReplyDelete