Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kudos, Silver Fox!

My Dad is hip.
He is seventy-seven and
emails and uses Facebook.
In fact, he is not intimidated by 
the computer at all!
I think that rocks.

In fact, I feel like I know my dad really well,
but until he started using the computer and 
writing his thoughts down,
I didn't know he was quite so witty.
I mean, like really witty.
The kind of witty that makes me stop and think
"Um, that is way too cool of a thing for my
Dad to be saying!"
He sure surprises me and definitely
makes me laugh.

And I also get to see a soft side of him.
I already knew about that part of him.
It gets more profound with age, though.
He is more sentimental than he
would probably ever want to admit.
I love that about him too.

He sent me an email yesterday
stating that he just realized he was the oldest living person
on his Grandma and Grandpa Gaither's side...
oldest on Gaither side (Grandpa)
and Finley side (Grandma.)
Hmmm...
I have mixed feelings about that.

But Dad, I must say,
I'm lucky to  have got to see you in so many family roles in your life...as a grandson,
a nephew, a son, a cousin, an uncle, a brother, a grandfather, and a father.
Your family has always been the most important thing to you.
Thanks for instilling that in me.
You have loved and been loved by your family.
And always will be.
Kudos, Silver Fox.

(Now, send me something funny, will ya?)