Monday, April 11, 2011

Where'd They Go?

OK, I'll be honest.
I thought it would take a LOT longer to get use to an empty nest.
I really did.
I dreaded it for so long before it happened...
I was miserable for awhile after it did...
but I think we're OK.
The papa bird and I.

I do miss those little birdies sometimes, though.
A lot of times, truthfully.


But I'm getting use to the quiet.
Sometimes, I just wanna jump up and down and 
yell at the top of my lungs, 
just to hear some noise!
I miss their loud chirping and screeching.




(Some of you are probably wanting to jump up and down 
and yell for some peace and quiet. 
Better enjoy that noise while you can.)


Those little birds of yours will fly the coop too, 
before long.
They'll start flapping those wings in anticipation,
and whistling a merry tune,
 and on half a breeze-
they'll take off.
Free birds.


You'll be so proud of them.
You'll worry if you taught them all they need to know
for a smooth flight into their new world.


Let them strut their feathers a bit.
They'll come back home and visit the old tree.
They'll  find refuge in your wings, 
when needed.

Every now and then, I find a few feathers
and it makes me smile..
those feathers are like gold to me.
I just tuck them away 
and save them for a rainy day
when the papa bird and I 
feel like tucking our wings under
and resting a bit...
and remembering when our nest was full.
And taking comfort in knowing that...
 birds of a feather flock together.

©2011tbowenblog