Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dozens of Cousins

I have thirty-four first cousins!
Who does that, seriously?
My son's only have three!

I consider myself to be the luckiest cousin in the world,
because of it.
Some of them are older than me,
and some of them younger.
Perfect!

We've lost one of us - she was beautiful on the
inside and out!
She fought a strong battle, 
and was so courageous.
She had three sweet boys.
We love you and miss you, DeAnn!

They say cousins are your very first playmates 
and best friends.
I sure thought so.

I never lived in the same town as my cousins 
for much of my life,
but I wished I did.

I thought they hung the moon,
and couldn't wait to be around them.
And they belonged to my aunts and uncles, 
who I pretty much adored.
When it came time to hop in the car and head their way,
I was beside myself with anticipation and excitement.

My sisters and I were the city cousins.
Now that I'm older, I'm not sure if they thought that
was a good or a bad thing.
I always thought they were the cool ones!

I thought life in the country was grand.
I considered small-town life to be perfect.
Well, at least for the few weeks a summer I spent with them,
or during holiday visits.
I always hated saying good-bye until next time.
Most of them all got to be together, 
or close by.
Luckies.
(Yeah, I know luckies isn't a real word.)

I have lots of wonderful memories spent with them, 
doing things I couldn't do
in the city...
building forts out of hay bales in the barn,
sticking my toes in Grandma's red-muddy tank,
riding horses,
not having to lock the doors at night,
swinging around on the rotating gate at Grandma's house,
going to the movie with my cousin's
(my uncle was manager of the theater in town),
riding bikes down the old dirt road into town
to get a lime-ice at the corner drugstore,
(pretty sure that's why I like frozen margaritas)
heading for the hills to get out of doing the dishes
after a big meal at Grandma's house,
and sleeping on the back porch 
in the country, stars in full view!

I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.
  
Some day I'll tell you about some crazy things that happened, 
growing up with those cousins of mine!
Ha - I still laugh when I think of some of them.
I don't know for sure which one(s) were the most ornery,
but I've got my hunch!

But I want to say to them,
I love each of you,
always have, and always will.

"Cousins from the beginning,
friends 'til the end."

No comments:

Post a Comment