Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hoppin' Down the Bunny Trail

Easter has always been a happy time.

There's the obvious - and the reason...
Christ's resurrection,
which makes me so very happy.

And there are memories.
Lots and lots of good memories.

*Dyeing eggs*  
Back in the day, we didn't have too many choices of dyeing kits.
They basically included dye tablets to drop in vinegar,
a metal dipping tool, and a white wax crayon.
I thought it was pretty grand!
By the time my kids came along,
there were all sorts of fancy choices.
Color-coded cups, stickers,
glitter, paints, etc.
I usually just liked to stick to the simple ones..
similar to what I grew up with.
Funny how we like to hold onto those traditions, huh?

*Hiding eggs*
How could one ever tire of this tradition?
It depended on if you were the one doing the hiding,
or the one doing the finding!
And we NEVER hunted plastic eggs...
they were always the real deal-
the one's we dyed and stored in the 
refrigerator until hunting time.

I remember looking for eggs at my Grandma's house with all my cousins.
One or two of my uncles would always have prize eggs
 with money included.
As my own children got older,
and the newness of watching them hunt for eggs was no more,
the adults would practically offer cash money
to any volunteer who was willing to go
hide eggs again, for the bazillionth time!



Well, who's that handsome fellow?






*New Easter clothes*

Many of my new dresses were homemade.  And I loved them!
I usually also got a new pair of shoes...patent leather, no doubt.
I always enjoyed seeing my sisters and mom all dressed up too.
I imagine Dad was as proud as a peacock to 
show up at church with all four of his girls!

I love the gloves, Mom.


Ummm, hello cute little pink purse.

I have to admit,
I was tempted a few times, 
to dress my boys up in a pretty little pink ruffly dress for Easter.
Well, OK, not really, but I DID in my mind.
Well, OK, maybe I did occasionally really dress them 
up in girl bonnets.  No one will ever know...smile.
So instead of frilly dresses, I put them
in sailor suits, Buster Brown shoes with knee socks,
and baby blue and white attire.
So there.
I did it and with no regrets, Sons.



Matt and Michelle Faber.


Matt and his cousins in Chelsea.



Little Lord Fauntleroy

 Matt with his first best friend.

My little sailor man.

Drew at church with Thelma Farley.



And since I've probably humiliated you both by now,
I'll show you proof that I did dress you like normal
little boys sometimes.

Mike, Matt and Drew 
(who I think looks a little like Eddie Munster in this photo)




*Bunny Cakes*
How many times can you make a bunny cake out of two
round layer cakes, white and green and pink-dyed coconut, and jelly bean eyes,
and not get tired of it?  
Apparently, never!
I made them with my mom and sisters practically every Easter.
Do boys like to make bunny cakes too?
Mmm hmm.





Only difference about boys and bunny cakes is apparently
they liked to make them only half-clothed.



*Bunnies*
Well, I'm sad to say, 
I never had a pet bunny, 
just a garden visitor.


But I DID have the cutest little bunny you've ever seen!

Happy Easter to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment