Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Snips,Snails, Puppy Dog Tails...and What's that Smell?

I grew up in a family of girls...well, and also my dad,
who is not a girl. 

I knew girls...I knew how they worked and how their
minds worked.
So I was pretty sure that when it came time to have babies,
there would be at least one girl included 
in that package.

What I did not know...was
BOYS.

Or that I was going to be the lucky recipient of two of them!

Although it's true that I married a grown boy,
I basically did not know that much about the world of little boys.

I did not know that boys could get so dirty, or 
be perfectly happy getting so dirty.
And stinky!  Whew, I did not know about that!
I didn't know that they could produce such smells and sounds 
from their bodies that would make any dad proud!
I did not know that they could gladly eat almost anything 
at anytime, anywhere.
Or that if they got mad, they were over it in record-breaking time.
Little boys don't hold grudges...they've got too much planned for their day.
I didn't know that they were perfectly happy wearing the same 
underwear,
every day,
unless someone strongly urged them to change it.
Or...that when given the opportunity to go shopping with their mom 
for new clothes...
they would take a rain check!  What??
I'm talking about SHOPPING here! 

BUT,
what I also didn't know, 
was that God had a very special reason 
for blessing me with sons.

I didn't know that little boys could love their Mommies so much.
That at least while they were young, she hung the moon.
I didn't know they could steal your heart and 
make you wonder how you ever could have wanted anything but sons.
(Besides, modern-day boys can wear pink, right?)
I didn't know that they could grow into little men right before your eyes,
paying close attention to their Dad's example.
Or that they could melt your heart with one little home-made
card that said, "I Love You, Mom!"
I didn't know that they could try to make you feel so protected
as they were trying out their roles 
for the future.

I've always heard that you can tell how good of a husband a man will
be based on how they treat their mother.
I hope that's true - 
because I will have two well-loved daughter-in-laws.

What are little boys made of?
Everything wonderful...and then some.

©2011tbowenblog