Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Want My Mommy!

I have the flu.
I thought that's what flu shots were for.
I am not a happy camper.

Bless my better-half's heart. 
He is good to me when I'm sick.
He buys me special things
that he thinks will make me feel better,
like my favorite drink when I'm not feeling well-
Gatorade and cranberry juice.
 He asks me often, "How are you feeling?"
or "Do you need anything?"
He picks up around the house because
he knows that will make me feel better too.
He does all he can do.

But... when I'm really sick,
I WANT MY MOMMY!

I remember when I was a kid, sick in bed,
she would come in my room a hundred times a day
(or so it seemed)
to make sure I was covered up,
and touched my face, or felt my forehead,
and brought me soup or drinks. 
Moms just have that special touch, don't they?
She'd let me watch extra tv and
lay around while everyone else 
went about their regular routines.
I knew she was just a beckon-call away,
ready to make me feel better in any way she could.
(C'mon-You know you were that way too!)
I liked the attention, I guess.
My other sisters were just out of luck, 
because I was the one who was sick...they'd just 
have to stand in line that day.
(Hmm, does a high fever cause one to write in
a self-absorbed fashion?)


As a mother myself, I know I get
knots in my stomach when one of my
kids get sick. 
I guess that must be a mom-thing
(right, ladies?)
And mind you, they are grown men now,
not little boys.
but I still have sympathy pains
when they are ill. 

I'm thankful, though, that moms (and aunts) were made that way-
to have that instinct to know
just how to take care of our babies.
I think they still like to be taken care of,
no matter how old they are.


                                         I sure do.                My mom called
 me right away after       finding out I had the 
flu.  Of course  she wanted to know what she could do, or
 bring me.  If I wasn't contagious,  I sure might have taken
her up on it.  But instead, I'm just going to remember
all the times she took care of me, and loved
on me and had sympathy pains 
for me. Thanks Mom.

                                                                              

 And besides, don't worry.
The doctor prescribed a special medication
made just for me...
it's called Tamiflu. 
(I still blame the fever though,
for the self-indulgent thoughts!)