Saturday, February 5, 2011

Peace that Transcends all Understanding

It's  funny how the older I get,
the more life seems to feel comfortable.
I don't know if it's because 
I don't see it with quite the same 
rose-colored 
glasses I've worn in the past,
or if it's
just that with age comes at least a little bit of wisdom
and inner peace.

Not wisdom and peace from my own doing...no way!
I know God has guided me and allowed me to
go down certain paths along the way, gently nudging 
when I need it,
and more importantly,
stepping back when He needs to...
ready to catch me
when i fall.

But then I usually remember...
remember what I've learned, what I'd do differently if I could,
and mostly remember the things I wouldn't change for the world!
And you know what they are?
The valleys...yep, that's right..you heard me.
The trials, the hard times, the days and nights when I wondered 
how I would ever make it through.
And you know what else?
I've weathered them, only through God's grace and love for me,
and I promise you...each time I've come out stronger
and more ready to handle the next one! 

Just let me just stop and say, 
for future reference,

I know they're not over with!  I know, I DEFINITELY know there are more,
and that I will make SO many wrong turns along the way,
but 
I also know 
that each time God sends
a storm, He shelters me through it with the biggest umbrella ever!
Sometimes I've been mad at Him, and longed for His presence,
and wondered why it took HIm so long to answer me.
But I had to just wait...pray, study His Word, and
listen.
(And when I didn't do these things, it took a lot longer!)
I would sometimes have to cry out to Him
to please just carry me..because I was too tired 
to deal with it anymore.
But finally came the peace.
That peace that passes all understanding.
The peace that I wondered if ever would come.
The peace that I've seen in so many others 
that I know have suffered a much more
gut-wrenching 
storm in their lives than me.
I could learn a thing or two from them!
I am AMAZED by their strength in God and how they stand so firmly
on His promises.  
Boy could I learn a thing or two from those precious friends
that are so dear to my heart!
They are without a doubt more full of God's armor than I can probably 
ever hope to be.

I'd like to share one of my favorite Bible verses with you...
a verse that has given me hope and faith through many situations in life.
I hope it will give you comfort too. 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving,
present your requests to God.
(Here's my favorite part..)
And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  Philipians 4:6-7

I'm so thankful that Jesus is the only peace I will ever need.


©2011tbowenblog