Saturday, May 12, 2012

What I Learned in Kindergarten


What  I Learned in Kindergarten This Year
by
Mrs. Bowen
 
I went back to kindergarten this year.
I hadn't been there in 23 years.
No, I'm not a slow learner.

I learned a lot of stuff.
I learned how to call things "stuff"
if you don't know the word for it.

I learned how to perform 
in front of an audience.
It's not every day I get to
use my French accent.

I learned that 
 full moons, especially 
phenomena called super moons,
do the same thing for five-year olds
as they do for second graders.

I learned the b-word,
remember,
b..b..b...bumblebee.

I learned how to 
dodge germs 
while at the same time,
embracing them with all my being.

I learned that 
if you want to make someone really happy...
sing.

I learned that 
I can indeed hear twenty
different things at once,
and still
focus on the task at hand.

I learned that the apple
does not fall far from the tree,
which makes we wonder 
what that says for
my family
tree.

I learned that being called
"teacher" a hundred times a day
can finally 
seem natural.

I learned that if you assume
they can learn all the lyrics to a french song
and how to correctly use "oviparous"
in a sentence
in less than two days,
they  can.

I learned that if you read a storybook
like you really believe it,
all your little friends 
will believe it too.

I learned that grandma-age kindergarten teachers
need naps when they get home
WAY more than
momma-age kindergarten teachers.

I learned that there is a 
direct correlation between how much
learning and fun took place in class that day
with how messy the room looks
when you're finished.

I learned that a piece of candy
still has amazing leverage.
It has magic powers.

I learned that if you tell a kindergartner
they have "one minute" to
get back from the restroom,
they really believe they can
get back in one minute.
Unless...they decide to 
sit in the sink for awhile. 

And finally,
I learned that if you tell your children
over and over all year 
that you're the Mother Duck and
they are your little ducklings,
it will only make it harder 
to send them out into the first-grade
world on the last day of school.

Aahh, (sigh)...
my work here is done.
©2012tbowenblog

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 12, 2012

    and you're still alive to write about it!
    Mission Accomplished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always cherish my years in your class!!!

    ReplyDelete