Saturday, October 1, 2011

Return of the Jedi

It doesn't take that long to come back...
remembering how to teach kindergarten.
The first weeks were merely a blur...
procedures, procedures, procedures.
Building that foundation.
Twelve-hour work days.
Long hot baths 
and naps.
(That last part at home, not at school....obviously.)

If you're a kindergarten teacher,
 you'll understand everything I'm about to say.

The younger the child,
the more mothering they need.
The more mothering they need,
the more attachment you feel.
The more attachment you feel,
the more mothering you provide.
It's a cycle...

SO...
I'm heavily invested already in just six short weeks.
I forgot about that part.
But it happened for sure.
Just kinda snuck up on me.

Things I might have forgotten...
Going home right after school's out -not gonna happen.
Singing makes everything better...
that and candy.
I need more band-aids - apparently,
they have magic powers....even
on invisible boo-boo's.
Puppets will make even the
shyest child talk.
That desk I bought to put in my room-
not really necessary.
Some people just WANT to cut their hair.
I hate shoelaces.

Things I didn't expect to say...
"Do NOT get in the bathroom sink."
"You really don't want to eat that!"
"I don't want to hear anyone say TEACHER for five minutes."
"I know it's only 9:30 (p.m.)...
but I'm going to bed."

Things that make me smile.
"Teacher, I love you."
Looks on faces when Buzzy puppet shows up.
Listening to five-year olds sing.
"I did it, Mrs. Bowen!" 
Diet Mountain Dew.
Having to say,
"Please do NOT get in the bathroom sink."
(OK, that one's iffy...but you'd just have to see
the little munchkin!)
"You're cute, teacher!" 

Things I'm thankful for.
Hand sanitizer.
Washable paint.
Good bacteria.
Ibuprofen.
Labor-day holiday weekend...
it's really not appreciated enough.
Adult friends at work.
A sense of humor.



I'm a work in progress...
a returning kindergarten teacher.
Only difference is...
I'm old enough to be their Grandma now,
not their Momma.
I have arthritis, a bum knee,
and hot flashes.
But I've still got it...
may the force be with me.

Yep, I'm smiling!







No comments:

Post a Comment