Tuesday, July 31, 2012

He'll Be The First To Tell You

I've known my husband for thirty-seven years.
I've been married to him for thirty-one
of those years.
I've no doubt used lots of words over those years
to describe him.

I have a new word I've been using...
a lot.
Resilient.

You might not think of that as being 
anything special...
to be resilient.
But I do.

You might not even think there's any reason
why I should be telling you 
about his resiliency.
But there is.

I've learned a lot from him this past year and a half -
a year that he unabashedly will tell you
has not been easy.
He would say there were moments he mourned,
short-lived moments when he panicked,
and even a few bad days out of that year and a half,
when he saw that cup as empty.
 But that's about as far as he will go.

More likely he'll tell you how he prefers to 
see the cup as
half full.
Or that there's nothing he can do to change things,
so best to move on..full throttle.
He'll tell you that he believes in Someone
who he knows is in charge of his life
and trusts Him,
through the good and the bad.

 He will still laugh with you, 
laugh at you,
and laugh about you...
all the while bouncing back
minute by minute, day by day.

He will most assuredly prefer to deal with today
and then move on to tomorrow.
For his tomorrow brings hope...
a hope that is attainable and full of promise.
Because he's resilient.
And he's teaching me to be more like him.
God, help me to be more like him.

I love you, Sweetheart.
I am so proud to call you husband.
 

re·sil·ient   adj \ri-ˈzil-yənt
  
1.  springing back; rebounding.

2.  returning to the original form or position after being bent, compressed, or stretched.

3. recovering readily from illness, depression, adversity, or the like; buoyant.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment